Juliana Writes...

Living with the best of intentions

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Whole30 Week #2: Experiences and Observations

Whole30 compliant chorizo, red potatoes, and brussels topped with a fried egg and avocado

We made it through week 2!  I felt really tested last week – days 10 and 11 are statistically the days that many quit the Whole30 and I understood why; I kid you not, I dreamed about grilled cheese sandwiches. 


Zoodles with shrimp and romesco sauce from the Whole30 cookbook -- I gotta say, as much as I love Pinterest there's just something about having a tangible cookbook that feels lovely.


The detox process continues to completely fascinate me, as someone who considers herself a fairly healthy eater I am continuously amazed at how my body has reacted to the lack of processed ingredients and alcohol – but mainly to sugar.  I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I never thought of myself as someone who consumes a lot of sugar, but the Whole30 has opened my eyes to how much sugar goes in EVERYTHING.  I mean, even foods and drinks that are considered “healthy” often have some kind of sugar added to them, hidden away with phrasing like “natural cane juice” – yeah, that’s just sugar!  All the breads that I thought I wouldn’t miss have been in the foreground of my cravings – I don’t love bread and pastries the way many people do but my desire for a toasted bagel, something I rarely think sounds appealing, remains unwavering.  To me this is a solid (and shocking) indication of the sugar addiction I was completely unaware of – because it’s being fed to us in so many of the things we would never think to look for it in (my favorite green hot sauce from Trader Joe’s contains sugar!  It’s like 4th on the ingredient list!) we’re basically sugar brainwashed, and the detox from that is intense.  It’s also kind of cool, it makes me feel like I’m gaining power over something that I didn’t know was out of control and I look forward to figuring out how to move forward with this knowledge in July (because I’ll never not eat ice cream…it’s just a fact).


Mahi mahi lettuce tacos with homemade guac and pico de gallo, plus spiced cauli rice with sauteed zucchini


The other interesting thing I encountered in week 2 is my emotional relationship with food and drink – I had a crappy day and the desire to self-medicate with junk food and alcohol was overwhelming.  It made me take a good, long look at my automatic reaction to negativity and start thinking about how to change that…I still don’t have answers, but I have awareness and that’s a start.  Also, not letting myself succumb to those unhealthy urges, though tantrum inducing at the time, felt like I conquered something small but mighty.  It’s those little victories that I think you have to focus on during something like this. 


Guacamole bacon burgers with leftover pico, sauteed onions, and homemade chili fries.  This is how you indulge on the Whole30!


Anyway, here are the rest of my Whole30 Week 2 Observations:

The cravings continue and they really do sneak into your dreams. I have dreamt about grilled cheese sammies, rosé, margaritas (weird, not usually my drink), pizza, and croissants.

My energy is up in the mornings and through most of the day but I crash hard in the early evening.

My positivity is increased.  Mornings are the best, good energy + good mood!

Flavors are becoming brighter.  I put Tapatio on my eggs the other morning and I swear it had a whole new flavor profile!

I miss cheeeeeeeese.

James also pointed out that he’s missing crunch and I’m finding that he’s so right, there are not many things that give that satisfying potato/tortilla chip or cracker crunch in the fruit and veggie world. 


Tuna lettuce boats and oven fries


Leftover steak salad with chimichurri dressing


My skin is definitely brighter.  I’ve always been lucky with easy skin but I can see and feel a noticeable difference – clearer and softer.

The bags and circles under my eyes are less!  This one is huge for me.  My under-eye area has always been a trouble spot for me; the puffiness is genetic and I’ve always had dark circles, especially during allergy season – the fact that both are down is extremely poignant to me.

On the dark circles note – I’m sleeping way better.  Like, WAY better.  I used to wake up several times a night and I’m now sleeping all the way through pretty consistently, plus waking up feeling rested.  HUGE!  This is my favorite Whole30 effect so far.


The standard breakfast these days


My chimichurri came out runny but the flavor was still there so we went with it!


Who else has experienced detox like this?  Any advice or wisdom from Whole30/clean eating vets??
  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so psyched about your progress! I've almost made it through a year (mostly) grain-free and TOTALLY nightshade free. I've been gluten-free 8 years and I remember those bagel cravings, but I'm surprised I was able to easily give up fries. It made such a difference in inflammation I'm kinda stunned.

    I want to do a sugar & dairy free 30 days. I'm not sure I can live with no cheese or wine but you're inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete