Juliana Writes...

Living with the best of intentions

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Lessons Learned // Adventures in Antelope Canyon


Traveling always makes me return home a better version of myself.  Adventure clears out the cobwebs and restores the clarity, the more I explore the more alive I feel.  It’s constantly on my mind; where will I get to go next?  How soon can I get there? 

But no journey is complete without a home base.  Often I’m so focused on getting back to wandering that my home becomes an after thought, or worse, a burden – it feels like a dirty, noisy cage of cement and steel, barring me from the wonders that earth has to offer. 

But I’m learning (always, always learning) that the resentment, that ugly, despondent filter over my city is a choice.  It’s a misery I’m imposing on myself and my world, I’m choosing to see the things I dislike in the foreground, to forget the gems that made me feel like Los Angeles was the biggest adventure life had to offer so many years ago.  I’m not saying it isn’t validated to feel claustrophobic at home, it’s a genuine part of who I am, but I have a great deal more control over it than I have been exercising for quite some time. 



I’m writing this because, after a series of glorious (and sometimes stressful – hi, broken-down car in the middle of the desert surrounded by rattlesnakes!) adventures this summer I find myself happily holed up in La La Land, extraordinarily aware of how content I am to just. be. home. 

We have a big trip planned for November and normally I would be chomping at the bit to get there, willing time to move faster, focusing all my energy on the escape…but instead I’m savoring the sounds of my city, the moments with my fur babies, the day-to-day adventures.  I’m choosing to focus on the now and to do so with as much positivity as I can muster and I have to say, it’s helping me recognize all the good and potential we are surrounded by in this empire of endless opportunity. 

Does that mean the wanderlust bug won’t bite me anytime soon?  Of course not.  There is too much beauty to be experienced and I want to be a part of it all.  But for now this…this is a very good place to be.

“It’s a funny thing about coming home. Looks the same, smells the same, feels the same. You realize what has changed is you.”

 -- F. Scott Fitzgerald 














No comments:

Post a Comment